The Intra-Company Transferee (ICT) work permit is a Canadian immigration program that allows multinational companies to transfer employees to their Canadian branch or subsidiary without needing a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).

Here are the minimum requirements for the ICT work permit:

For the Employee

  1. Employment with the Multinational Company: Must be employed by a multinational company seeking entry to Canada to work at its parent, subsidiary, branch, or affiliate.
  2. Qualifying Position: Must be applying to work in Canada at the executive level, senior managerial level, or a position requiring specialized knowledge.
  3. Continuous Employment: Must have been employed full-time with the company for at least one year within the previous three years.
  4. Valid Passport and Supporting Documents: Provide a valid passport, educational credentials, and employment records.

For the Canadian Employer

  1. Qualifying Relationship: The Canadian enterprise must have a qualifying relationship with the foreign enterprise, either as a parent company, subsidiary, branch, or affiliate.
  2. Business Activity: Canadian enterprises must do business actively in Canada.
  3. Genuine Job Offer: The Canadian enterprise must provide a genuine job offer for a qualifying position.

Types of Intra-Company Transferees

There are three types of ICT positions:

  • Executives: Responsible for directing the organization’s management or a major component.
  • Senior Managers: Manage an essential function of the organization or department.
  • Specialized Knowledge Workers: Possess specialized knowledge of the company’s products, services, processes, or methodologies.

Additional Considerations

  • Language Requirements: There are generally no specific language requirements for ICTs, but proficiency in English or French may be beneficial, depending on the position.
  • Spouses and Dependents: Spouses and dependents of ICTs may be eligible for open work or study permits.
  • Duration of Stay: The work permit duration for ICTs can vary depending on the position and other factors, but generally, it’s up to seven years for executives and senior managers and up to five years for specialized knowledge workers.

It’s important to note

  • The requirements can vary slightly depending on whether the transfer is under the general provisions of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) or an international trade agreement like CUSMA.
  • It’s always recommended to consult the latest information on the official government website or seek advice from an immigration lawyer or consultant.

For detailed information on the ICT work permit, you can refer to the official government website:

Consult with a Canadian Immigration Lawyer


Leave a Reply

Avatar placeholder

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Call Us Now