The Canadian education system has a prestigious reputation, with multiple highly-rated schools, colleges, and universities across the country. Currently, the University of Toronto takes the top spot in Canada with the University of British Columbia and McGill University in second and third place.

Studying in Canada is a more affordable option for thousands of international students each year and offers even more post-graduate work and immigration options for students who want to stay on, and settle in the country permanently. Whether you want to simply live and study in Canada or work part-time as an international student, Canada is the place for you.

Do I Need a Study Permit ?

If you intend to study in Canada for longer than 6 months you will need a study permit. The study permit is usually valid for the length of your study program plus an extra 90 days. If your study program is less than six months long you won’t need a study permit but you may want to apply for one anyway as it will give you the opportunity to earn some extra money and work both on and off-campus. Without a study permit, you will have to apply for a work permit to be able to work as an international student.

Who is Eligible

To be able to study in Canada:

  • Be enrolled at a Designated Learning Institution(DLI)
  • Have enough money to pay for your tuition fees, living expenses, and return transportation (for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada)
  • Not have a criminal record
  • Be in good health
  • Prove that you intend to leave Canada when your study permit expires.

Apply to the Chosen College or University

Canada has so many great institutions to choose from, however, if you are an international post-grad student, you will need to choose a Designated Learning Institution (DLI). Not to worry though, you will have your choice of over 300 DLIs across Canada. If, however, you plan to stay and work in Canada after you have completed your studies, it’s important to check if your DLI meets the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP) as not all DLIs are not created equally.

Apply For Your Study Permit

Once you have been accepted to your chosen educational institution, you will receive an acceptance letter, which you will need when you apply for your Canadian study permit. Below is a list of the required document for your application

  • Proof of acceptance – letter of acceptance from your DLI
  • Proof of identity – passport and two passport-sized photos
  • Proof of financial – Minimum of $10,000 plus additional fund for each family member that will be joining you eg. proof of student loan, a Canadian bank account in your name, paid tuition and housing fees, proof of funding (person or school), student or education loan, four months bank statements

You may also be asked for additional information, such as:

  • a letter of explanation – why you want to study in Canada;
  • a certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ) – if you want to study in Quebec
  • a custodian declaration (minors only)
  • Police certificate;
  • Medical exams;
  • Language testing;
  • Biometrics;
  • other documents – any local requirements from your country or region

If you need to submit additional information it’s best to start collecting them before you are asked for them as you will only have 30 days to acquire and submit them from the date they are requested by the IRCC.

Why Pax Law Immigration Lawyers ?

Immigration is a complex process that requires strong legal strategy, precise paperwork and perfect attention to detail and experience dealing with immigration officials and government departments, reducing the risk of wasted time, money or permanent rejection.

Immigration lawyers at Pax Law Corporation dedicate themselves to your immigration case, providing legal representation tailored to your personal situation.

Book a personal consultation to speak with an immigration lawyer either in person, over the telephone, or through a video conference.