When you immigrate to Canada, you may not want to be alone. With the Spousal and Family Sponsorship Class, you don’t have to. This Sponsorship Class was created by the Canadian government, to help reunite families whenever possible. If you are a permanent resident or Canadian citizen, you could qualify to sponsor certain members of your family to join you in Canada as permanent residents.
There are several categories that can help unite you and your loved ones.
Sponsor your spouse, common-law partner or dependent children, parents, grand parents, relatives, adopted child and help partners who are experiencing abuse
You may apply to sponsor your spouse, child, common-law partner of the same or opposite sex if you meet the following requirements:
- You must be 18 years or older;
- You must be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident, or a person registered as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act, (if you are a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when the person you sponsored becomes a permanent resident and you cannot sponsor someone if you are a permanent resident living outside Canada.);
- You must be able to prove that you are not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability;
- You must make sure that they don’t need social assistance from the government; and
- You must be able to prove that you can provide the basic needs of any person you are sponsoring
Factors Disqualifies You as a Sponsor
You may not be able to sponsor a parent or grandparent under the family sponsorship programs if you:
- Are receiving social assistance. The only exception is if it is disability assistance;
- Have a history of defaulting an undertaking. If you have sponsored a family member, spouse, or dependent child in the past and you did not meet the required financial obligation, you may not be eligible to sponsor again. The same applies if you have failed to pay family or child support;
- Are an undischarged bankrupt;
- Have been convicted of a criminal offence that involves harming a relative; and
- Are under a removal order
The IRCC will perform thorough background checks to ensure you do not possess any of these factors that disqualify you as a sponsor.
Why Pax Law Immigration Lawyers ?
Immigration is a complex process that requires strong legal strategy, precise paperwork and perfect attention to detail and experience dealing with immigration officials and government departments, reducing the risk of wasted time, money or permanent rejection.
Immigration lawyers at Pax Law Corporation dedicate themselves to your immigration case, providing legal representation tailored to your personal situation.
Book a personal consultation to speak with an immigration lawyer either in person, over the telephone, or through a video conference.