Refugees are people who have fled their countries because of a well-founded fear of persecution. They are not able to return home. They have seen or experienced many horrors.
Some dangers they may face include
- risk to your life
- risk of cruel and unusual treatment or punishment
If you feel you could face one of these risks if you go back to your home country or the country where you normally live, you may be able to seek protection in Canada as a refugee.
To make a refugee claim, you
- must be in Canada
- can’t be subject to a removal order
A refugee is different from an immigrant. An immigrant is a person who chooses to settle permanently in another country. Refugees are forced to flee.
The Canadian refugee system has two main parts:
- The Refugee and Humanitarian Resettlement Program (for people who need protection from outside Canada) – Refugees who come to Canada have left their homes, and in many cases they have had to live in refugee camps for many years. When they arrive in Canada, they have to start their lives over again. A person cannot apply directly to Canada for resettlement. The United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR), along with private sponsors, identifies refugees for resettlement.
- The In-Canada Asylum Program (for people making refugee protection claims from within Canada) -The asylum program works to provide refugee protection to people in Canada who:
- have a well-founded fear of persecution or
- are at risk of torture, or cruel or unusual punishment in their home countries
- been convicted of serious criminal offences or
- had previous refugee claims denied by Canada.
To make a refugee claim, you need to submit a complete application from inside Canada. You can apply for refugee status at any port of entry when you arrive in Canada. This means an airport, seaport or land border. If you’re already in Canada, you can submit your claim online.
Why Pax Law Immigration Lawyers ?
Immigration is a complex process that requires strong legal strategy, precise paperwork and perfect attention to detail and experience dealing with immigration officials and government departments, reducing the risk of wasted time, money or permanent rejection.
Immigration lawyers at Pax Law Corporation dedicate themselves to your immigration case, providing legal representation tailored to your personal situation.
Book a personal consultation to speak with an immigration lawyer either in person, over the telephone, or through a video conference.