Canada has an excellent educational system. Every year approximately 200,000 students from abroad come to Canada to continue their studies.

To be Eligible to Study in Canada

  • You must have been accepted by a school, college, university, or other educational institution in Canada. This educational institution must be a Designated Learning Institution (the “DLI”):
    • You must prove that you have enough money to pay for your:
      • tuition fees
      • living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada and
      • return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada.
  • You must be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record and not be a risk to the security of Canada. You may have to provide a police certificate.
  • You must be in good health and willing to complete a medical examination, if necessary.
  • You must satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your authorized stay.


In some cases, you do not require a study permit to go to school in Canada.

  • If you wish to study in a short-term course or program

    You do not need a study permit if you plan to take a course or program in Canada that is shorter than six months. You must complete the course or program within the period authorized for your stay in Canada.

    However, even if you do not need a study permit, it is a good idea to apply for one before you come to Canada. If you decide that you want to continue your studies in another program after you complete your short-term course or program, you are required to apply through a Canadian visa office outside Canada for a study permit, so you may as well apply in advance.

  • Foreign representatives to Canada

    If you are a family member or staff member of a foreign representative to Canada accredited by the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada (DFATD), you may not need a permit to study in Canada. You should contact your embassy in Canada. Your embassy can contact the Office of Protocol at DFATD to find out whether you need a study permit.

  • Members of foreign armed forces

    If you are a member of a foreign armed force under the Visiting Forces Act, you do not need a permit to study in Canada. If your family members, including minor children, want to study in Canada, they must meet the requirements.


Leave a Reply

Avatar placeholder

Your email address will not be published.